It was renovated in 2017, and the building’s exterior was maintained unchanged; 50cm-thick walls built mainly out of black lava and Santorini land (volcanic ash), a marble-decorated façade, and vaulted ceilings inside. A distinctive element of the façade is the marble coat of arms depicting a two-headed eagle.
The building has been through minor, though subtle, architectural interventions combining its aristocratic aura with modern aesthetics, and it has been separated into three independent lodgings-suites. It should be noted that these architectural interventions caught the eye of the online architecture magazine archisearch.gr which published a relevant article.
It is also worth noting that all of the property’s female owners since 1878 to date shared the name MARIA.